- Built in 1846, The Albert Dock now named Royal Albert Dock was one of the most advanced docks in the world. This helped Liverpool to become a global port. From just a port to now hosting our luxury apartments, restaurants, museums and so much more.
- The Liverpool Anglican Cathedral is the largest in the whole of Britain and it is in the top 5 largest cathedrals in the world. If you are spending a day in Liverpool, this location is worth a visit.
- Liverpool is the most filmed city outside London. Many movies have been shot in this great city, they include Sherlock Holmes, Captain America, Harry Potter and the list goes on.
- The Grand National, which takes place every year, sees people from all over the country and beyond. They come together for this great event. This world-famous horse race located in Aintree is also watched at home with over 60 million viewers.
Liverpool is a city of many firsts. Here are the top 3 things that Liverpool has been known to do it first.
- The world’s first passenger railway line built in 1830 was in Liverpool, it ran from Liverpool to nearby Manchester. Liverpool has two main stations, Liverpool Central and Liverpool Lime Street. One can travel to so many cities from these stations and Liverpool central is only 12-minute walk from Mann Island. However, there is also James Street station which is 3 minutes’ walk.
- Liverpool was the first city to have a lending library, this was officially opened in 1758.
- Liverpool was the first to open accredited tropical medicine school.
- Liverpool was the first English city to be awarded European Capital of Culture in 2008. This award recognises historical and cultural importance across Europe.